Okay so I’ve actually wanted to write about how to be an adult and do adult things for a while. Mostly because the US education system generally isn’t built for preparing people to exist in life after high school but also because I’m still trying to figure this whole adult thing out myself. (Usually this is how I adult.)
There’s a part of me that feels uncomfortable with the phrasing of “how to be an adult” because there are millions and millions of ways to be an adult. But with this post, I really wanted to focus on how to possibly go about things when you live on your own or start to live independently from your parents and guardians. The resources I share are probably not going to apply to everyone – not every piece of advice is universal unfortunately and I am coming from a place of privilege with massive blinders so there might be advice that is applicable to my life but not to yours.
Anyway, the idea for this post came from a tumblr post titled “how to grow the fuck up” and it has a massive list of resources regarding homes, money, health, emergency, jobs, travel, and a section called ‘better for you’.
General tips for how to be an adult.
Another list of general tips.
Super Guide to Being an Adult – long list of sites
As far as eating and food, here are some resources and tips:
- Inexpensive and weekly produce market in Harmarket (Boston, MA area)
- Some Dollar Tree locations will have food – there have honestly been some days where the only reason I was able to eat was because I could get to the closest Dollar Tree…
- Grocery Outlet stores will generally cheaper food than other grocery stores
- How to Coupon
- Don’t go grocery shopping if you’re hungry – this might only apply to me but man if I go shopping while hungry, I usually end up buying way more than I would usually…
Moving and your first place
- Things to Know Before Moving – some of these are about hiring movers, which may not be relevant to your move but maybe in the future?
- Just got your first apartment tips and things to get
- Stuff Nobody Tell you About Getting an Apartment
- Printable First Apartment Essentials Checklist
- Moving Out Master Post
Also, I might have mentioned this before but Bing has started to more or less bribe people into using its search engine. Hilarious? Yes. Pretty easy way to get gift cards? Also yes. Bing Rewards is a rewards system where for every two searches you do, you earn a credit. Gift cards to IHOP, Starbucks, iTunes, and many others are worth a certain amount of credits. (That link is a referral link from my account, just as a heads up.)