This is yet another post for all of my fellow white people to learn more about race and racism. We will never be able to stop learning and it’s important for us to keep learning, reading, amplifying, supporting.
Some more resources, in addition to the ones I’ve already posted, include:
- Curriculum for White Americans to Educate Themselves on Races and Racism- from Ferguson to Charleston – a long list of resources pulled together by Jon Greenberg
- Coalition of Anti-Racist Whites – Seattle Based
- Here’s the Perfect Explantion for Why White People Need to Stop Saying #AllLivesMatter – Jamilah King
- 4 Things We Should All Teach Kids About Racism Right Now – Mia McKenzie
- 7 Actual Facts that Prove White Privilege Exists in America – Zerlina Maxwell
- White People Have a Race – But Everyone Flips Out When We Talk About It – Jenée Desmond-Harris
- Listening to Ta-Nehisi Coates While Dreaming – Mark Gunnery
- White Fragility, Silence, and Supremacy: Why All White Hands are Bloody – Malik Nashad Sharpe
- Study: Watching racists be racists can make you more racist – Jenée Desmond-Harris
- White Fragility: Why It’s so Hard to Talk to White People about Racism – Dr. Robin Diangelo
- Rage Against the Minivan posts on race
- How White People Sound When They “Disagree” With PoC About Racism – BlackGirlDangerous
Ignoring race is literally one of the worst things to do as a way to stop racism from continuing. Acknowledging the history of white supremacy, understanding how whiteness works and how the powerful have defined race to meet their violent needs, and realizing that there is a hell of a lot of stuff we as white people often don’t understand is critical. Not talking about race to other white people will solve nothing – after all, white silence is violence.
Actively dismantling white supremacy is more than past due. We as white people have hundreds of years and countless generations of spilled blood and violent colonialism and it’s time that we destroy the system that allows for police brutality against communities of color (especially black people) goes unchecked, that allows for things like slavery, Jim Crow, and so many other things to be perfectly legal.