February is Black History Month, a month to learn about the history of black and African Americans. Usually high school history classes don’t cover a whole lot of black history – or really any history outside of white people. We whitewash history – spending a lot of time learning about white people but not learning about so much about others.
There are many who argue why we still need Black History Month (something that started in 1926 as only a week and later grew into the entire month it now is):
- Why we need Black History Month more than ever – Denise Oliver Velez
- Why we need Black History Month – Yvonne Aburrow
- This is why we still need Black History Month – Bené Viera
- Why we need Black History Month – Tania Bradkin and Kathryn Needham
- 12 reasons we definitely don’t need Black History Month anymore – Zac Cheney-Rice
So this month I’ll be highlighting some important figures and events in the theme of black history!